Avila Gardens’ Response to Coronavirus
To the families of our residents, to our friends and benefactors,
Our community strives to live the example taught us by our foundress, Mother Luisita, especially her unwavering confidence in God, that His loving providence will carry us through even the darkest of times. Yet even as we firmly place our trust in God, the reality remains COVID-19 is a serious health threat and is also leaving a major economic impact in its wake that is touching everyone, and we at Avila Gardens are no exception.
We want to assure you that we are doing everything possible to ensure the safety and well-being of our residents. We are closely following recommendations from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Effective March 16, 2020, Avila Gardens will not permit visitors, family members, companions or guests in order to be in compliance with government mandates from the CMS and to ensure our residents’ welfare. This will remain in effect until further notice. An exception may be made for a grave condition. Such decisions will be made at the discretion of the Administrator.
We have also cancelled all fundraising events through late spring, including our 20th Anniversary Luncheon, scheduled for April 18th, in an effort to help stop the spread of this terrible virus.
Additional practices we have put in place to protect our residents from risk of exposure to COVID-19 include:
- All staff to be screened daily at the start of shift;
- All residents to be screened daily at the beginning of the day and monitored throughout the day;
- Residents with any flu-like symptoms will be isolated in his or her room and cared for there. The responsible party will be notified, and any further medical attention will be completed as needed;
- All non-essential outings such as beauty shop, retail shopping, restaurants, events, doctor’s visits that can be rescheduled are cancelled until further notice;
- All in-house activities will take place as scheduled for residents only;
- Holy Mass in Avila Gardens’ Chapel will be available to residents, but will not be open to the public until further notice; chaplain and/or Eucharistic Minister will be instructed in proper infection control and standard precautions by Administrator;
- Avila Gardens will not be restricting admissions at this time, and will continue to accept all residents that we would normally admit to the facility (as per CMS guidelines) until further guidance given by CMS
- Contact with loved ones can be made through telephone and internet.
The following is a phone listing of Avila Gardens staff for assistance or questions:
|Main Office Line
24/7 On Duty Phone
Sister Julianna, OCD
Sister Grace Helena, OCD
Sister Albertina Marie, OCD
|626-471- 1576 Office
We will continue to communicate any new updates. And in the meantime, please be assured of the continued prayers of all the Carmelite Sisters. May our merciful Lord Jesus keep you and those close to you safe and healthy. We are also grateful to you for remembering us in your prayers, as well.
Gratefully in the Heart of Christ,
The Carmelite Sisters at Avila Gardens